Have you ever dreamed of building your own house from the ground up, perfectly tailored to your family’s lifestyle? Do visions of open floor plans with chef’s kitchens or home theaters dance through your mind? If the idea of building your own house intrigues you, this adventure may be more attainable than you thought!
Over time, many brave homeowners are properly equipped with vision and dedication, and these five essential tips help them successfully build their dream homes every year.
So, if you’re up for an intensely satisfying challenge that’s bound to test yet excite you, join the custom home club! Let’s get constructive with these tips for building your own house.
5 Tips To Building Your Own House
Pick the Perfect Location to Build Your Own House
Ideally, the first step to build your own house is choosing an ideal setting for your new home. And to perfectly achieve this, you need to consider factors like:
- Access to schools, grocery stores, parks, entertainment, work commutes, and other conveniences you require.
- Affordability of land and construction costs. Property taxes and general cost of living for the area.
- Appealing natural features like trees, hills, lakes, or ocean views that attract you.
Once you are aware of the above, then drive around neighborhoods you’re interested in. Sometimes, a gem property that is not advertised pops up! Once you find a location you love, purchase the land so you can move forward.
Create Detailed Blueprints and Floorplans
Now for the fun part – envisioning and designing your perfect custom residence! At this stage, no one is better equipped than an architect. So, work with an architect to translate your vision into comprehensive blueprints mapping out every detail:
- Exact room sizes and layouts
- Electrical, plumbing, ventilation, insulation needs
- Material types for floors, walls, countertops
- Landscaping plans, exterior finishes
Pour over inspirational home design resources like Houzz and Pinterest. Communicate exactly what you want so the floorplans perfectly match your lifestyle needs and aesthetic tastes before construction begins.
Get the Necessary Permits and Approvals
With detailed design plans completed, you’ll need to obtain all required local permits and satisfy building codes. Why? Well, every state or region has its building rules and regulations, and you won’t want to go against this. To perfectly achieve this, the key steps include:
- Zoning permits to confirm home plans meet area size, height, and usage requirements
- Building permits approving the safety of all construction work
- Septic system permits if not connecting to public sewer lines
However, do keep in mind that navigating permit processes can be tedious. For this, you can consider hiring an expeditor to ensure you don’t miss any critical approvals.
Hire the Right Construction Team
Vet and hire qualified construction pros suited to build your own house accurately and efficiently:
- Read reviews and evaluate sample projects to choose an experienced general contractor. Confirm they specialize in new single family homes.
- Ask trusted local connections like real estate agents or neighbors for referrals.
- Interview multiple firms thoroughly checking licenses, insurance and financial stability. Make sure you can easily communicate with the crew chief overseeing day-to-day work.
Investing extra time to select the right builder prevents headaches down the road!
Budget Accordingly and Stick to It
According to Forbes, it costs an average of $329,000 to build your own house in 2024. Yet, this cost may be lower or higher than the average cost. However, it is important to create an itemized budget estimating all expenses like:
- Land purchase
- Contingencies for unexpected overages
Aim to have financing fully secured before you break ground. Track spending closely as construction progresses. Making modifications mid-project often introduces costly change orders.
Staying disciplined on a budget allows you to thoughtfully splurge on special upgrades like custom tilework exactly where you want it most.
Constructing your dream home from scratch is intensely rewarding, especially when you thoughtfully plan each phase. And with the above tips, you will enjoy many happy years in your custom sanctuary, proudly built with vision and brought to life through diligent decision-making!